Puff puff mix” typically refers to a mixture of dry ingredients used to make Nigerian puff puff, a popular deep-fried snack. Here’s a simple recipe for puff puff mix:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
- Warm water (as needed)
- Vegetable oil (for frying)
- In a mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, granulated sugar, active dry yeast, salt, and ground nutmeg (if desired).
- Gradually add warm water to the dry ingredients while stirring, until a smooth, thick batter is formed. The consistency should be slightly thicker than pancake batter.
- Cover the bowl with a clean kitchen towel and let the puff puff mix rest in a warm place for about 1-2 hours, or until it doubles in size. This process allows the yeast to activate and ferment the batter.
- In a deep pan or pot, heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat.
- Once the oil is hot, use a spoon or your hand to scoop a portion of the puff puff mix and gently drop it into the oil. Repeat with more portions, but do not overcrowd the pan.
- Fry the puff puff until golden brown, turning them over to ensure even cooking. Remove from the oil and drain on paper towels to remove excess oil.
- Continue frying the remaining puff puff mix in batches until all the batter is used.
- Serve the puff puff warm and enjoy as a delicious snack or dessert.